The Five Colors of Chinese medicine:
- Black/Blue: Kidney organ system, bladder, water, fear
- Green: Liver organ system, gallbladder, wood, anger
- Red: Heart organ system, small intestine, fire, joy
- Yellow: Spleen organ system, stomach, earth, worry
- White: Lung organ system, large intestine, metal, grief
When a particular organ or system is underactive, its energy decreases, so the appropriate activating color is projected on the affected area (sometimes the entire body). If overactivity is present, the obvious remedy is an opposite (depressant) color.
Benefits of Color Therapy
- Pain Relief by Reduced Swelling and Decreased Inflammation: Applying color light therapy to swollen or inflamed areas has been known to help relax the muscles and reverse irritation.
- Accelerated Healing: Color light treatment helps accelerate the body's ability to repair itself. Chromotherapy has been used in the healing of post-surgical scars, burns, wounds, and more.
- Increased Range of Motion: Treatments that utilize chromotherapy lights help lubricate joints and relax the surrounding muscles, resulting in increased range of motion. This results in many benefits, including improved flexibility and injury prevention.
- Decreased Muscle Tension: When applied to tight and tense muscle areas, color light therapy helps dissolve knots and tension to relax the body. As a result, reduced stress is a collateral benefit of color light therapy.
- Improved Circulation: Since different colors vibrate at different frequencies, certain colors can have similar effects as heat and can affect your body’s circulation. This chromotherapy benefit is enhanced when used in conjunction with an infrared sauna.
- Regulated Mood and Relief of Seasonal Affective Disorder: Each color in the spectrum elicits a specific feeling or response, one of which is regulated moods. Using light to stimulate our endocrine systems naturally regulates hormonal imbalances, mood changes, and even depression.
- Improved Sleeping Patterns: Mood regulation and muscle relaxation can result in improved sleeping patterns among persons that participate in color light therapy. Combining chromotherapy with sauna use can enhance this benefit even further.
- Anti-Aging Benefits: Color light therapy energizes skin cells and reinvigorates inactive skin cells. This results in a boost in collagen production. A boost in collagen gives the skin a smooth appearance and improves its elasticity.
What Conditions Can Chromotherapy Improve?
Studies have proven that chromotherapy has tremendous effects on diseases such as:
- Cancer, especially breast cancer (red)
- Hematoma (red)
- Hepatitis B (combination of various lights)
- Hypertension (blue light)
- Neonatal jaundice (blue light)
- Peptic ulcer disease (yellow light)
- Depression and stress, migraine (green light),
- Hyperthyroidism (violet/blue light)
- Alopecia (violet)
- Color blindness (blue/ green)
- Skin infections, especially cutaneous leishmaniasis (blue and red).